May 10, 2012

Full Circle Moments

Oprah's good for a number of things: inspiration, Welcome to Sweetie Pie's, and coining a phrase.  I mean, she's practically made it an art form.  From "wrap my brain around it" to "aha moment", she's the queen of quantifying a feeling and wrapping it up in a cute little phrase-package.  So, thanks to her I can say I have finally had a musical "full-circle moment"...and I have photographic proof it wasn't just a beautiful figment of my imagination. 
You all know my musical inspirations include The Mavericks (namely Raul Malo and Eddie Perez- both for very different reasons) and my hope was to someday see a reunion and meet the men behind my fascination.  Check!  The moment finally arrived when I met them all at their CD preview party in Nashville a few weeks ago.  The new tunes are phenomenal, as expected, with stand-outs including "Born to Be Blue" and "Come Unto Me". Raul was as gracious and charming as ever which further strengthened my resolve to follow his precise career path.  As for Eddie...**sigh** The only thing I can say is: Purple.  Velvet.  Jacket. Of course he was wearing purple velvet!!! He's Eddie freakin' Perez - he can do whatever he wants! Our conversation was a blur...probably something about world economics or Dick York vs. Dick Sargent.  All in all, it was truly a dream come true...still can barely "wrap my brain around it".  Thanks, Oprah.